Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Stories of a Sub, Thoughts on Family

I have been subbing quite a bit lately. Elementary music, HS math, Middle School language arts, Kindergarten =)

I got called a "Stupid B!%$#" last week, so that was awesome. I called the high school student out right away. I could have sent him to the office, but I choose to not involve the office in the worries of a sub, they've got enough to worry about. I was not making any outrageous request to warrant such treatment, but nonetheless, he thought that descriptor was applicable. Thanks man. It went something like this. "Excuse me!? Just because I am a sub doesn't mean that I don't have feelings. That is rude and it hurt my feelings." It seemed to work and embarrassed him enough to shut him up for the rest of the period. I can't really pull of the "mom-intimidation" that some teachers use. So, as a sub, who sees students a handful of times at most, I just try to be real.

I feel bad for all the times that I goofed off when I had a sub growing up. Oh course, it never went as far as calling names. But now I am on the other side of the exasperation that a sub feels. The constant "please get to work" "please stop talking", it gets old!

I think it is inappropriate and sad when other teachers tell me how bad a student or class is. I like to naively go into a day and assume the best of them, until they show me otherwise. Most of the "problem" kids and classes have enough negative energy and attention thrown towards them that I don't want to contribute to that.

On the other end of the spectrum, was Kindergarten. ha! There was constant tattling. If you think you know anything about anything, you are wrong in a kindergarten classroom!! They can tell you how to do everything, what is fair, what is NOT fair. They have strict routines (that are necessary, I'm sure)-- do not alter their routine! "Mrs. E, um, Megan was supposed to count to five and she counted to four instead." "Mrs. E, um, Aroura farted during the movie and she keeps smelling." "Mrs. E, um, Grayson pushed Cam." But they were adorable anyway.

There was one sweetheart in particular that pulled at my heart. James. Wavy blonde hair, dressed in a little flannel and khakis. He was very quiet most of the day and it took me awhile to figure out why. James had a serious speech impediment. At one point he came up to me and said something like, "I go to da tweasertwesh." And I am like, oh Lord please help me understand this little sweetie. I had no idea, "The what?" I asked. He repeated and I could see the disappointment and insecurity in his eyes. Finally a classmate translated- treasure chest- then, I was able to celebrate with him, "That's great, James!"

How frustrating would it be to not be understood? It sparked in my mind, that this could be my child. Every child has their challenges and I will count it a blessing to help my future kids through whatever it is that is before them.

Speaking of children. I think it is annoying when young marrieds (I mainly hear guys) joking that they "never" want kids! "Kids are a hiccup in my plan" "I'm in no hurry", "I'm having fun just practicing", haha! hilarious, NOT. Is it not one of the greatest blessings of life? I came across an old photo album when I was home last. in it, I found a bunch of birthday cards from my 1st birthday. I was struck by all those who thought of me, this little bald baby who couldn't really offer much but a funny noise, giggle and a dirty diaper. I was and am so blessed to be loved by a wonderful family. I am biased, but I think that my kids will be surrounded by the love of WONderful aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, great-grandparents. Why withhold this blessing? i love my family. i love family.
It often seems to go like this: Ok God, I'm ready to have kids now, Bless Me! Is that how it works? I've had my token five years with my hubby, we've done our European vaca, we've had some adventures, now it's BABY time! What if I am not so blessed? What if 5 years turns to 7 w/out kids, turns to 10? I think that the 'adventure' never stops. my family is PART of my adventure, not a hindrance to it. Encountering different families on the road, i am inspired by those who engage their children in their ministry. I hope to be like that.

yes, i am a fan of babies, but more a fan of family and the special love that you can only share within that bond. A love that disciplines has high value. The refining ability of a family is a godly thing in my eyes. am i in a hurry? to some, it may seem that i am. I like to think of it as i am excitedly awaiting the blessing.

2 comments:

AMFM said...

I am of the opinion that God's time is always best, even when it sucks at the time to us. Joe and I got pregnant with Zoe when we least wanted to, but I know now that she's just who we needed and came around just when we needed her! I know it's cliche, but it's totally true!

life as we know it... said...

awe, i love this post, Molly! you are always so insightful. I can't hardly wait to meet your little sweeties someday... sure do miss you and love you always :)