jeff and i were in a big city. a homeless person began taking my possessions without my permission. at first i was upset, and then i realized that the 'right' thing to do was to give my possessions freely to this man who had nothing. so i gave him a jacket, but withheld another jacket for myself. what if i get cold? then i gave him some food for it was the 'right' thing to do, but withheld some food for myself. what if i get hungry?
I woke up and the question was still true, what if? Who's going to take care of me if not myself?
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Just as I withheld a jacket for myself, I know I withhold parts of myself from God.
from "My Utmost for His Highest":
"Abandonment means to refuse yourself the luxury of asking any questions....And, once you do get to the point of total surrender to Him, you will be the most surprised and delighted person on earth."
No comments:
Post a Comment