Sunday, August 9, 2009

Weekend with the Shorts

I had the chance to visit Rachael and Daron Short and their dog Belle while we were in CO! It was great to stay in the sweet house that they flipped and just to be with good friends for a while. Rachael, Belle and I hiked each day I was there, it was awesome! It was a great chance to talk (sometimes that was a bit difficult for me due to the altitude) and enjoy God's beautiful creation. I really appreciated Rachael taking me on some of her favorite hikes.


Hike on Day 1. The Craggs

Just the girls! At the top



Hike Day 2. Along a stream
Taking a moment to enjoy the water

Nature!
Me and Rach at top of waterfall

Hike #3. Steps up a rock quarry.

Lovin' it
After spending time with both the Shorts and the Kirchners, it was bittersweet to leave such awesome friends. I have always known friendship is important, but these visits stirred up a hunger in me for community. There is a price that I pay for going on the road: all of my relationships are long distance. Is this how other people feel?

FRIENDS! People that you can serve and be served by. Love and be loved by. I feel as though most of us are created to go through life with, serve, and love people that we can physically be near, touch and hug. Without that interaction, I think something is missing from life. At least, I feel as though that something is missing from mine.

I guess for now my position in life is to love the people that are right before me at the time. It may be while visiting old friends that I love dearly, or meeting someone at a show for the first time. I will still love them both. The thing that is missing is the staying. We are always going. Off to the next city. Off on the next tour. I am praying that I will be content with this time in our lives, but I don't feel guilty looking forward to a time when I can stay. Stay and get to know someone deeper. Stay and be known deeper. Stay until a stranger becomes a friend. Stay and feel part of a community.

No comments: